https://honeybinham.com/image/cache/catalog/15799929_10102657945732308_7658085644067357243_o-1170x600.jpg

Recognizing Pesticide Poisoning

  • 15 Aug 2017
  • |   0 Comments

There’s nothing worse than discovering your bees have been poisoned. The once busy entrance, now silent with only a few twitching bees in carpet of dead below. The suddenness of a colony lost to pesticide poisoning is shocking. What follows is often heartbreaking, humbling and infuriating. So, how do you know if your colony has been poisoned? What do you do if it happens and how can you prevent it if it hasn’t yet? Read on to find out everything you need to know about how to protect your bees and other pollinators from this terrible ordeal.

Recognizing Pesticide Poisoning

Since honey bees will fly up to three miles to forage, urban beekeepers are particularly at risk form pesticides. Unlike agricultural settings, most urban and suburban homeowners are free to use pesticides without restrictions, licensing or instruction. If one of your neighbors uses a pesticide improperly, it can devastate nearby beehives. The improper use of a pesticide can include: using too much, applying it to plants when they are in bloom, or applying it at the wrong time of day. It’s important to understand that the majority of these incidents happen as a result of ignorance, not malice. Many simply fail to read instructions before using the product they buy and do so without an understanding of the consequences their actions have.

0 Comments

In order to write comment, you must be logged in